Saturday, July 21, 2012

Walking for the Cure

Those of you who know me well realize I do not generally get involved in causes, but one of my neighbors asked if I'd walk for an hour for The American Cancer Society. Of course, everytime I agree to such things, all (*@# breaks loose. I'm on call Thursday nights from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. for my mortuary to take deceased individuals into our care. Unfortunately for me, this past Thursday proved to be a "killer." No pun intended. I was called out at 9:15. Came back at 11 p.m. Back out at 2 and pick up 2 women. Back out at 4:40 to pick up another woman. Went back to sleep at 6 and up at 6:45 to put in a full day. Went to Curves (dumb idea). Then at 8 p.m. I walked for an hour in a circle for the Cancer Society. Needless to say, I'm not very useful after only 3 hours and 40 minutes of sleep and that was not all in one stretch. The first call I picked up a man who had been dead for more than a week and weighed over 300 pounds. I have the aches and bruises to prove it.  Needless to say I dragged myself home from the park at 9 p.m. and headed to shower and straight to bed. I didn't get up until 9 and I'm still dragging my butt around. Here is a photo of me with Heidi Marie before I started to walk. I never think I'm a giant person until I have to stand next to tiny people.  When all was said and done I'm glad I was able to walk but have a feeling I won't be signing up for any rigorous Friday night activities in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment